Thursday, March 28, 2013

On Solid Ground

 
 
In addition to card collecting, another one of my hobbies is music. As well as having been a performing musician since the late 80's, I have a huge music collection.
 
 
I have 45's,
 
 
Albums,
 
 
Tapes,

 
CD's,
 
 
...and yes, even 8-tracks.
 
I have a working 8-track player. So whenver I'm in the mood for a legendary concert performace from Elvis, out comes the 8-track player and I party like it's 1975.
 
And if I really want to feel nostalgic, I'll go to my mom's and pull out the reel-to-reel and party like it's 1965.
 
In high school I was a metalhead. Van Halen, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Poison, Whitesnake...if it was heavy metal, I loved it. I ended up going to Berklee College of Music for a spell, and was introduced to jazz. I studied classical music at Plymouth State College in NH, and because of all that training I will analyze music as well as listen to it.
 
Whether I'm listening to the Allman Brothers or Slayer, music gives me tremendous enjoyment, much like my card collecting does. Whether it's Paula Abdul or Zebra, Paul Anka or ZZ Top, ABC or XYZ, it's more enjoyable when you listen to a variety of styles.
 
That's why I collect all types of cards; baseball, basketball, football, hockey, non-sports, even music cards.
 
 
 
 

 
 Variety. I've even found myself listening to country now, and in the past few years I've been listening to the blues, anything from Robert Johnson to Taj Mahal to Johnny Lang.
 
And thanks to all you bloggers out there, I've gotten an education in card collecting, much like I did with my music.
 
I would get frustrated when I would go to card shows because all I would see were rows and rows of autos and memorabilia cards which I don't really care about. I thought I was the only one who liked base cards. Because of reading about different peoples views on what they liked and reading about their own experiences, I've tried to have a better attitude when I go to card shows and actually enjoy myself. And you know what...it's working. And for that I thank all of you.
 
So this afternoon while I was out with my fiancee shopping for a car, we stopped at the Five Below and I bought another baseball repack. Guess what was inside it.
 
 
Oh well, I guess it's time to party like it's 1989 again.
 
(I promise I'll stop saying that.)
 
 
*The reason for the title is that is what CD I'm listening to while posting this. Larry Carlton. Good stuff.


1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to finish my set of Pro Set music cards. Or at least get the good bands I don't have yet...probably this summer.

    ReplyDelete