Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cards From The Binder (Chapter 3)

Unlike most bloggers it seems, I don't keep my collection in binders. However, I do have a couple of binders full of cards that don't seem to fit anywhere and that I keep on a shelf in my closet, away from the rest of my collection. So here is another post full of misfits.


First up is a 1995 Signature Rookies Darrel Deak. Numbered 27 out of 5,750, mind you. The back of his card says he should be a major leaguer by the end of '95. Well, he was drafted in 1991 by the St. Louis Cardinals, but sadly never made it past Triple-A.


1994 Signature Rookies Lloyd Hill. Another "Top Prospect" that didn't quite pan out. He was cut by the Chicago Bears and ended up playing in the Arena League. He may not have made the NFL, but his brother, Roy Williams, did.


Eddie Goines, however, did make the NFL as a wide receiver but never made a catch. Knee injuries prevented him from playing more than two years with the Seattle Seahawks in the mid to late 90's. He reinvented himself as an actor and has appeared in "24", "Monk", and "My Name Is Earl" among others.



Only two left in this installment. Hang in there.





This is a 95-96 Signature Rookies card of Donny Marshall, who spent 5 seasons in the NBA with the Cleveland Cavaliers and the New Jersey Nets. He played in 119 games and scored 293 points.

Nowadays, you can find him serving up commentary for the Boston Celtics on Comcast Sports Network right here in New England.


We'll end tonight's post with some hockey. As you can it is numbered 5,845 out of 7,750. OUT OF 7,750!! They really made these kids work back then.

Daniel Tjarnquist (by the way, I may not be the best looking guy or the smartest guy, but dammit, I can pronounce hockey names!!) was drafted in the 4th round (88th overall) by the Florida Panthers in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft. However, he never played a game for them. He did play for the Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild, Edmonton Oilers and the Colorado Avalanche. Currently he plays in Germany.

So there you have it...another action-packed edition of "Cards From The Binder".

I got all of these from repacks essentially when I was in college. There weren't any cards shops in the area, so I would buy cards through mail order companies. I want to say it was "Mail Order Concepts", but I could be wrong. I don't remember how much it would cost, but I would get sets, uncut sheets, autographed cards and other commons. I also don't remember how much it would cost each time, but it couldn't have been much. I was living off of Ramen Noodles and Natural Light at the time, so I didn't have much of a card budget.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your day (or evening).

No comments:

Post a Comment