Saturday, March 2, 2013

Repack Rewards

My baseball card budget isn't very big, so I buy a lot of repacks. There is a Dollar Tree that I drive by on my way home from work (that is if I drive in the opposite direction first), and they always have some sort of repacks there. Sometimes they have all baseball, sometimes they have all football, and occasionally they will have five card packs of that years Topps baseball or football (no inserts, just base cards). Right now they currently have this:



These have a little bit of everything; baseball, football, hockey, basketball, golf, olympic cards, even volleyball cards can be found in these repacks. Lately they've been basketball and hockey heavy. So you'll generally find cards like this:


Or like this:


Or like this:






(It's the scanner's fault the top of the card is missing.)
 
 
Generally I will look at them all and toss them in a pile to be sorted later. But now that I've launched "Sortageddon", I was forced to revisit the latest unsorted pile of dollar store acquisitions. Lately what little baseball that has found its way into these repacks has consisted mainly of 2001 Bowman Chrome. I did not have any previously but now I have about 9 cards. One of them was this:
 
 
A 2001 Bowman Chrome Miguel Cabrera! From a dollar store repack! Who's in charge of quality control there?! Give this person a raise immediately!
 
(For those who care, it currently books for about $15. Not bad, not bad at all.)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome repack find. I need that Cabrera card, which is actually not Cabrera. It's an uncorrected error, a picture of someone else. Still, I'd love to trade for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably going to eventually do that set, so I'm going to hold onto it. I'm in the process of undertaking a huge sorting process, so I'll keep an eye on your want lists in case I have dupes of anything you are looking for. I'll certainly let you know if I find anything.

      Delete