Friday, February 19, 2021

First Card Show of 2021

I went to my first card show in over a year in January. What a difference a year makes! A year ago you could run from one end of the building and not run into anybody but now it's bumper to bumper traffic!

Just about every table had a dealer (before usually half the tables were empty). Most dealers seemed to be younger and unfamiliar to me (I've been going to this show for years). The dimebox seemed to be a thing of the past as the tables were littered with graded memorabilia and auto cards. The prices seemed quite high on the majority of things that I was even remotely interested in so it didn't take long for me to scan every table quickly. 

There is a dealer that is usually there that will have oddball things for quite cheap. Fortunately he was there but he didn't have anything to struck my eye. He did have some packs of cards from movies from the 70's and 80's that were 3 for $5. I thought even that was kind of steep but I gave in and bought a few.


Pack 1



Pack 2



Pack 3



Pack 4



Pack 5



Pack 6



I was a big fan of the "Back to the Future" movies plus I think that "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News is one of the better 80's soundtrack songs.


I also picked up an 11 card sticker set of Grease.


This is one of my wife's favorite movies. She named her dog after Olivia Newton-John's character.

I did fall for the ol' "have a different card on the front and they will think it's a different set". So I bought three of the same thing.


There were 2 packs of Rocky II which I took home with me.

Pack 1




Pack 2




For reasons unbeknownst to me, my wife decided she was going to try the gum. I wish I had videoed it.

Well, that's only 11 packs and as I mentioned, they were 3 for $5. I needed to find 1 more pack. So out of all the packs left there was only pack that called to me. Sure there were other options, but I was hangin' tough.


I'll spare you what was inside it but does anybody know what a PSA10 Joey McIntyre rookie card goes for these days?

What I'm listening to while I post this:

Michael W. Smith - I Will Be Here For You


7 comments:

  1. That does seem steep for packs of cards, but I would have bought the Back to the Future ones also. I will admit I'd have got the New Kids cards too since I had some growing up. Some far out project I'll maybe get to one day, I'm going to get a Joey McIntyre sticker from that set, I just hope the price doesn't get too steep. Nice cards overall, and even better to be listening to Smitty while posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. witness the quickness as i dismiss that pack of nkotb cards!

    i made a quick run to the lcs last week for the first time in over a year. it was understocked and overcrowded. i grabbed some supplies and ran. looking forward to a proper card show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Power of Love is playing on the radio as I'm reading this.

    I've been jealous of people's card show trips the last few months, I keep getting emails from show organizers saying their shows are canceled AGAIN. But if the show is going to be crazy packed with newbies, maybe I don't want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I heard I Will Be Here For You today, or maybe yesterday but I know it was recently.

    I checked my LastFM, it was today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep the price is a little steep. Can't complain about the packs you did get though...except for maybe the New Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been very hesitant to resume going to shows, not because I'm afraid of catching the Rona, no, it's because I fear the new high prices that I know I'll encounter, and the possible lack of dime boxes. In my mind, a show really isn't a show without dime boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit worried the recent card surge will make dime boxes harder to come by. It'll be a while before I hit a card show, but I'm interested to see what it's like once they're up and running around here.

    ReplyDelete