Wednesday, January 4, 2023

1991 Swell Baseball Greats

Hello, I'm back after a few months...hope everybody had a fantastic holiday season! Down my way everybody was sick so we all stayed home. My car also decided to end its relationship with us on December 24th, so I had to get a new (to me) car along with new payments. Well, at least now I have a radio that works, driver's side window that goes down and heat that comes out of every vent, not just the ones pointing at the windshield. I also will miss the white duct tape that kept the back windshield on and the paisley interior due a leaking sunroof.

Anyways, I'm always looking for cheaper boxes to open (especially now)...and I did have some of this set already via repacks, so I took the plunge and bought a box.


I think I paid somewhere around 20 bucks for the box. Should this have been a 5 dollar box? Absolutely...but try to find anything for 5 dollars now.


36 packs in a box...10 cards per pack.


Unfortunately the pile of duplicates is on the left. There was only 1 complete set in the box.


Here is the front of the card. I like the design.


The backs have the career stats plus a little write-up.



Not a fan of seeing El Tiante in a Yankees uniform.


I think this is the only Wally Moon card I have. That needs to change.

 
Obviously they were being very generous with their "Baseball Greats" label.












The checklist is 150 cards.


This is a set that I completely ignored back when it was released. I was too busy spending around 7 dollars a pack for O-Pee-Chee Premier! Those were the days!



What I'm Listening To While I Post This

 Agent Steele - Skeptics Apocalypse




6 comments:

  1. This is one of those fun low-end sets from the time that I still like picking cards up from even today. I'm not shocked you only got one set based on how the collation was back then, but I'm glad you at least got that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool set and I'm all about ripping cheap wax. If you have a spare 16 Lew Burdette and a checklist, I can use them. I'll send you a return as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen packs from this set, let alone a box. I've always known singles as just dime box fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Swell sets, in particular this one. I would've put down 20 bucks easily. I didn't even know they came in packs. Unfortunately it came out in the early '90s, which automatically means collation is garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proof that yellow bordered cards aren't always complete eyesores!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have any Red Sox duplicates you would be willing to move? I need a bunch of these.

    ReplyDelete