Friday, March 4, 2022

1993 O-Pee-Chee Premier

Hello everyone...before I begin there is a change on how I upload pictures to the blog. First of all, the paper feed on my printer crapped out. So after trying to fix it, I gave up and bought another one...that was supposed to work with my ancient laptop. Guess what, they lied...it doesn't. So...I have a Samsung tablet that I've been using and have hooked up the printer wirelessly to that. I have yet to attempt to see if I can scan wirelessly to this, so for now I'm just going to take pictures with my tablet and upload them to the blog. It is much quicker than the previous way because I had to crop every photo I uploaded.

I do have some previous posts that are unfinished using the other method, so it may be a mish-mash of photos for a bit. I think we'll all be able to cope however.  

Because card shows haven't delivered much that I've been interested in lately, I have resorted to buying some boxes online. You do pay a bit too much (this box was twenty-something) and then you add shipping on top of that so I will usually buy a couple of boxes at a time to make it somewhat worth it. While I do occasionally buy newer stuff, mostly it's from the junk wax era (which I love dearly). 
 

I had a decent amount of 1993 O-Pee-Chee Premier that I had bought back in 1993, so between that and a full box I figured I would be able to complete it.


It is a 132 card set and a box has 36 packs with 9 cards in each box for a total of 324 cards in the box. Should be no problem getting a complete set...right?


RIGHT?




I like this set, it is very simple.


The backs are very easy to read although seeing Ellis Burks in a White Sox uniform is unpleasant to the eyes.


The checklist was focused more on rookies and traded players than stars. George Brett was missing, Jose Lind wasn't.


Ken Griffey Jr. was left behind, Rich Amaral wasn't.


You do get to see Trevor Hoffman in his Marlins uniform.

I like the cards...but don't like the collation. I did not get a complete set out of the box. I was eight cards short. Card 120 - Tim Laker was nowhere to be found but Card 2 - Chad Curtis was found six times.


So I went to the half set I already had...stored in a plastic case since 1993...


...with Chad Curtis featured prominently. 


But unfortunately I only had one card I needed. So now I'm down to needing only seven.

There wasn't much for inserts as the insert craze hadn't exploded yet. Seeding one per pack were Star Performers. There were 22 in the set and I'm missing five of them. 


There were two other types of insert cards...Star Performers Foil and Top Draft Picks. The odds for both were 1:36.  According to baseballcardpedia.com, these boxes were easily searched. Each box was supposed to have two packs located at the bottom if the box that were upside down. In these upside down packs there were the Star Performers Foil and Top Draft Picks Insert Cards. My box did not have any upside down packs. Boo!

I've begun to update/add my wantlists again so you will see one for this set up soon!

Thanks for reading!



What I'm Listening To While I Post This

The Beatles - Please Mr. Postman

 

2 comments:

  1. My scanner crapped out a few years ago and since then I've just been uploading pictures taken by my camera phone to my blog posts. It's been working well for me and no one's commented negatively about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I first joined the blogs, using photos of cards for blog posts was sort of looked down upon, but I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

    ReplyDelete