Monday, December 9, 2013

An Early Christmas Present

I always like getting unexpected cards in the mail. So of course, I was extremely pleased to see an envelope addressed to me from Kaz at This Way To The Clubhouse, which was filled with Red Sox goodies.

Shall we display them?

I think we shall.


1996 Bowman Trot Nixon.


1996 Bowman Brian Rose. He spent a few years with the Sox before being traded in July of 2000 to the Rockies with Jeff Taglienti, Jeff Frye and John Wasdin for....


....wait for it....





Rolando Arrojo, Rich Croushore, Mike Lansing....and CASH!

I don't remember this trade, but I'm sure talk radio was buzzing over this one.



2006 Fleer Greats of the Game Luis Tiant insert...


...and the base card.

When I was a kid I would try to mimic his pitching movements. I would spin around all the way so my back was facing the catcher, spin back around and throw. I would even do the head bob.

It's safe to say that if you were at bat, you never would have gotten a hit off of me whie I was using his pitching motion...unless you were standing in the on deck circle.

My pitches didn't exactly go where I wanted them to.


2013 Topps Chrome David Ortiz...


...and Shane Victorino.


A couple of numbered parallels...Josh Beckett numbered 1292/2008...


...and Robert Person numbered 667/2003.


2013 Topps Jarrod Saltalamacchia Green Emerald Parallel.


2011 Topps Red Sox Team Silver Diamond Anniversary Parallel.


2001 Topps Archives Reggie Smith,


Sparky Lyle,


and Orlando Cepeda.

I really like this set, but it came out when I wasn't collecting an awful lot, so consequently I don't have very much of it.


2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball Highlight Sketches Carlton Fisk.


We'll wrap up this "Early Christmas Present" post with six cards from the underappreciated 1994 Ted Williams set.

First is Bernie Carbo,


Ted Williams (who by the way, is rightfully card #1),


Fred Lynn,


Bobby Doerr,


Johnny Pesky,


and Rico Petrocelli.

I've gotten a few cards from this set from repacks, but these are the first Red Sox I've received.

Thank you Kaz, for an early Christmas present! One of these days, I'll get to another show and return the favor!

1 comment: