Friday, August 2, 2013

Trade With Baseball Dad

I've had some hit and some misses with the Trading Thursday series. One of the "hits" would be the lot of Cleveland Indians that I offered up some weeks ago. Jack from the Indians themed blog Baseball Dad's All Tribe Baseball offered me up some fantastic cards in return for it.


A bunch of 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen...


... as well as some 2012 Topps.


Also received were a few 2013 Topps Series 1 needs...


...and some 1993 Topps Series 2. (Yes, I haven't finished this set.)

Now some of the cool Red Sox cards he sent me starting with....


...A STICKER!
 
This was from 1983, and I actually did more hockey collecting than baseball when it came to the stickers.
 
And why does this look like a painting?
 

While I wasn't a big fan of the Conlin Collection when it came out, now I think it's a great set.
With age really does come wisdom.


Everytime I see 78 Topps, it makes me happy.


1974 Topps Rick Wise. I don't have much of this set, so pretty much every card is a set need.


1994 Bowman Cory Bailey. He went 0 - 2 in 16 games for the Red Sox before being traded with Scott Cooper in 1995 for Rheal Cormier and Mark Whiten.


A very cool Kevin Youkilis GU card from 2008 Uooer Deck SPX.

Now here are a couple of things that really stood out for me.


A SCHEDULE!
 
I probably had this at one time but I usually throw these out after the season is over. It was really cool to look at this and reminisce about watching games on TV38. TV38 fell into what is known as UHF (ultra-high frequency). UHF signals travel by line of sight, so they can be blocked by hills and large buildings. Add to this that I was watching this station on a black and white televsion in my bedroom, with a black cable coming from the antenna on top of the roof. This cable came through my bedroom window, across my bedroom floor, and was attached to the back of the TV. Needless to say, the reception was not always that great. Especially when I accidentally stepped on the cable and it became unattached from the TV.
 
However in 1988, I wasn't watching any Red Sox games. I was living in Boston that summer sans television. I was attending the Berklee College of Music and I spent the summer listening to the games on the radio.
 
My knowledge of late 90's product is very limited, so I'm always seeing things that were released during that period that I had no idea existed.
 
The two pictures you see below were the ones that Jack had sent me. He asked me if I would be interested in this. I had no idea what it was, but it looked cool so of course I said yes.


 
It's a 1997 Topps Screen Plays Nomar Garciaprra card. If you tilt the card back an forth, you see Nomar run to first base. I must have spent a good five minutes just doing that over and over again, amazed by this card. Even my wife thought the card was cool.
 
Thanks a lot Jack! Looking forward to trading again!

2 comments:

  1. Talk about being behind ! I don't know how I missed this post.

    Glad you liked the cards ! I was just starting a post on the hanger box you sent. Should be up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete