Saturday, August 17, 2013

Believe It...Or Don't

I was doing my nightly blog reading a couple of weeks ago (or maybe it was a couple of months ago, I have no idea), and ended up reading a post about 1991 Topps.

I can't remember what the name of the blog was, but 1991 was right in the midst of my second foray into card collecting, so I was immediately interested. I was buying a lot of cards back then and in fact, 1991 Topps is one of the sets that I actually have finished, probably due to the fact that I bought so damn much of it.

The 1991 set celebrated Topps 40th anniversary. Older cards which they had bought back from collectors (they reportedly spent $1 million dollars acquiring these cards) were inserted into packs. According to BaseballCardPedia, any card that was worth more than $50 (in 1991), or produced earlier than 1957 were redemptions, rather than being inserted into packs.

The question posed on the blog that night was "Did anybody ever pull a card out of one of those packs?" The blog's author said he didn't know anybody who had pulled one.

Well kids, believe it...or don't, but I did pull one of those buyback cards out of a pack of 1991 Topps.


1971 Topps Jerry Johnson.

Trust me, I was surprised as anybody. Not only was I surprised that I pulled a card, but that it wasn't a 1987 Jay Tibbs or something I already had a dozen of.

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

4 comments:

  1. I bought so much 1991 Topps in '91 and never saw or even hoped to see one of those buyback cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that. 1991 was the first year I collected. I don't remember how many packs I opened, or any of my brothers or friends, but I know nobody ever pulled one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After opening 7 boxes ,I did pull a 1960 Frank Robinson from a 1991 pack,condition was ex+,still a nice card

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much more fun that this online code-entering business. Pulling a random 20-year-old card out of a pack would have made my day. Nice.

    ReplyDelete