Friday, August 16, 2013

Go (South) West, Young Man

Sunday I managed to make it to a card show. This one was in Massachusetts, and like most things from the next state over, the prices were a bit more expensive. Still I managed to get a bunch of things I needed without breaking the bank.

It actually was an autograph show, which I was unaware of upon entering the building. While I was looking for cards, I noticed a setup in the back of the hall much like the autograph shows I used to go to all of the time back in the 1990's. There were two men sitting at a table, and the gentleman on the right appeared much older than the gentleman on the left. He also did not look like an athlete at all, so I assumed that he was there to collect your money.

The guy on the left I assumed was either a current athlete or was retired, but I didn't recognize him, and I could not find anything at the show that told me who he was or how much his autograph was.

This could also explain why there was no line at the table.

Well, it turns out the guy signing autographs was Jermaine Wiggins, who was a member of the New England Patriots from 2000 - 2002. I remember him most from the 2001 AFC Divisional Round game (also known as the "Tuck Rule Game") where he had 10 catches for 68 yards.

But I wasn't there for autographs (I didn't bring much money anyways), and besides, my focus was on cards...more specifically cards from my first years of collecting.







All this set me back about 9 bucks. The 78 Gaylord Perry was the biggest culprit at $2.50...which is what Beckett says it is worth. Grrrr.

And I never did find out how much a Jermaine Wiggins autograph was.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pickups! Regardless of the price, that '78 Perry is awesome. I've always liked the shot Topps used for the '79 Rick Wise as well.

    ReplyDelete