Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Trade With Backstop Cards

Today's post comes courtesy of Marcus at "All The Way To The Backstop". For an assortment of Padres I sent him, he returned the favor by sending me some Red Sox he hoped I would like.

Let's take a look at some of what he "hoped" I would like.


1992 Fleer Ultra Ellis Burks. One of my favorite sets, and my second favorite Red Sox player of all time.


2013 Topps Archives Jacoby Ellsbury. I am not doing very well in the Red Sox department with this set.

Correction: I was not doing well. Now I have most, if not all.


1996 Fleer Update Jamie Moyer. I have most of this set, but I didn't have this one.


I have no idea who this is. I've been following Spring Training for the past few years, trying to become more acquainted with the Red Sox prospects, but I've yet to see him.


1993 Fleer Ultra Tony Pena. Another set I liked very much.


2002 Bowman Heritage Johnny Damon. Extremely popular during his stint with the Red Sox. Even my grandmother liked him.


1993 Upper Deck Frank Rodriguez. Supposed to have been the shortstop of the future. He ended up making the majors as a pitcher and was 0 - 2 with a 10.57 ERA ifor the Sox in 1995 before being traded for Rick Aguilera on July 6th.


1993 Phil Plantier. Another prospect that didn't pan out. He hit 91 home runs over 8 major league seasons. Traded to the Padres for Jose Melendez in Decmeber of 1992, he has the most home runs of any major league player born in New Hampshire.


1994 Pinnacle Otis Nixon. I was very happy when he came to the Red Sox because I liked having a stolen base threat on the team. He ended up stealing 42 bases in his one season in Boston.


I wasn't expecting any memorabilia cards, and this Bill Mueller card was quite a surprise.


1993 Pinnacle Mo Vaughn. One of the most important Red Sox players of all time.


I have plenty of 1987 Topps, but not much 1987 O-Pee-Chee. Don Baylor hit 47 home runs over parts of 2 seasons with the Red Sox.


1981 Fleer Fred Lynn. I was not happy when he was traded to the Angels in January of 1981. The outfield of Jim Rice, Fred Lynn and Dwight Evans was one of the best of all time.


Speaking of Jim Rice, here he is on his 1987 Fleer Card. In his rookie season (1975) he hit .309, and had 22 home runs and 102 runs batted in, yet at the beginning of 1976 he found himself on the bench. When asked who could possibly have started ahead of him, he said "Some guy named Yaz."



2009 Topps 206 Jacoby Ellsbury. A set that I had absolutely zero of before Marcus included a bunch in his trade package.


2013 Topps Archives Fred Lynn/Jacoby Ellsbury Duan Fan Favorites. For someone who lives near Boston, I sure have a hard time pulling Red Sox. Thankfully, most of you bloggers would just as soon get rid of them.


I also collect minor league cards. Jeff McNeely was a prospect I was real excited about. He stole 6 bases in 21 games at the end of 1993. That was my freshman year in college and I remember watching him on the small TV that was in the living room of the house I lived in on campus. I was interested to see what he could do in 1994, but he never reappeared in the major leagues.

He was traded in December of 1994 along with Nate Minchey to the St. Louis Cardinals for Luis Alicea.


Greg Blosser, the Red Sox first round pick of 1989. Yet another highly touted prospect that didn't pan out. He was supposed to be a home run threat. I saw him in a few games in Spring Training and he looked terrible. I remember he had slightly long hair and the media making a big deal of him cutting it. Supposedly he was "growing up".

He played 22 games in the majors, batting .077 with no home runs and 2 runs batted in. He also spent some time playing in Japan in the late 90's.

The Sox had 3 picks in the first round of the 1989 draft. After Blosser, Mo Vaughn was picked 23rd and Kevin Morton was picked 29th.


1990 Topps Major League Debut Dana Williams. I don't ever remeber him being any kind of prospect and in fact was no longer with the Red Sox when this card came out. According to Baseball-Reference.com he is listed as a "Pinch Runner and Leftfielder". He played in 8 games from June 19 to July 2, 1989 and had 5 official at-bats. He never appeared in the major leagues after that.


1992 Score Dan Petry. I knew he was on the Red Sox, but don't remember ever seeing him. It was like the Red Sox careers of Larry Parrish and Rob Deer. Blink and you'll miss 'em. Acquired by the Red Sox from the Braves on August 16th, he played in 13 games for the Sox in his last season.


...and we'll finish with another prospect I've never heard of. According to soxprospects.com, he's not even listed in the top 10. I wonder what the criteria is to getting a Bowman card?

Marcus sent me two big stacks of Red Sox, most of which I did not have, and a few I had never even seen. So yes, I did like what you sent me. Very much so.

Thanks, Marcus! Hope we can trade again, and looking forward to the Padres draft!

1 comment:

  1. I also would like to know what the criteria for getting a Bowman card is. Seems like I've never heard of the MAJORITY of them, and I'm not COMPLETELY out of the loop when it comes to prospects. Oh well.

    Oh, and after getting 5/6ths of the draft lists, I think you'll like how the draft shakes down for ya. My goal is to do posts on the first few rounds of the draft, as a teaser for the forthcoming packages.

    Glad you liked everything!

    ReplyDelete