Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Yes, I'm Being "Short" With You

As usual for me, blogging has been few and far in between. I've managed to make it to a couple of card shows in the past few months so I'm going to do a series of short posts to try and stay more active on the blogosphere.

The guy that runs the card show sets up at the front door (and why not?), so he is the first table or should I say tables that you see. The majority of his tables are dime boxes (and as I've mentioned before...unorganized). I'll usually stop there and spend maybe twenty minutes to a half hour just going through box after box. This time I found a bunch of 1994 Topps Finest Baseball...


...forty-nine to be exact. I could not afford these at the time they were released, so whenever I see them on the cheap I'll grab what I can.


As I was scanning through all of the dimeboxes I picked up whatever caught my eye...like this 2003 Upper Deck Hideki Matsui rookie.


I don't have the 1992 Topps Traded Set (the Garciaparra and Varitek rookies make it a little pricey...wouldn't I love to find those two cards in a dimebox!), so I settled for picking up the fourth most expensive card in the set (if you care, Sammy Sosa is the third).


We're going to switch to hockey for a moment. I'm sure anyone who was collecting at the time remembers the buzz over Manon Rheaume, the first female to ever try out for an NHL team. She played in a couple of exhibition games, including one against my Boston Bruins which I missed (Dang!).


I also found one of the four cards that make up the 1994 Mother's Cookies Mike Piazza Rookie of the Year set. This is card 3 of 4.


I picked this card up solely because he had been invited to Spring Training with the Red Sox. I like having cards of as many players from Spring Training as possible. It's one of my many quirks.


I also grabbed three Red Sox Prospects from 2014 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks and Prospects so I could have cards of them if they were invited to Spring Training.

Bryan Hudson was invited to Spring Training last year, but has not made an appearance this year.


Jordon Austin was actually released in 2015 and according to Baseball-Reference.com hasn't caught on with another team...so unless he's in the stands, I won't be seeing him.


Joseph Monge is with the Red Sox this year for Spring Training. I guess one out of three isn't bad.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a show I attend in Mansfield. Always had a thing for Manon but was never a fan of her brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Mike Piazza is a beauty. I love the lurking Dodger Stadium.

    ReplyDelete