Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Back To Work

I hope everybody had a good Memorial Day weekend. I took the weekend off from "being connected" and didn't even look at my laptop. I like to do that every now and then. Unfortunately the weather here was pretty crappy (it rained most of Saturday and Sunday), so I didn't get to enjoy my time off as much as I would have liked.

I spent part of Saturday at my mom's. She is a ceramics teacher (as well as a school teacher), and on weekends I help her pour the things that she makes available for her students. She was having a septic problem that morning, so I ended up mowing her lawn. I haven't mowed a lawn in years, and it pretty much kicked my ass. I could have slept for the entire weekend if I wanted to.

The weather was crappy and cold on Sunday as well, but on Monday it got up to 82 degrees. That's my kind of weather. It was a little overcast, but nice and warm...but not for long.

The high temperature for today was 49. A nice 33 degree difference in one day. Oh, and did I mention it rained most of the day? Welcome to New England.

I also got to watch the Red Sox extend their losing streak to 10 games before finally beating the Braves on Monday night. It didn't look good as they fell behind 6 - 1 before coming back to win 8 - 6.

The roster has been pretty much the same for the first seven weeks of the season but since last Wednesday, Felix Doubront, Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli have all been placed on the 15 day DL, pitcher Alex Wilson has come up and been sent back down to Pawtucket, and pitcher Brandon Workman and C/1B Ryan Lavarnway have been brought up from Pawtucket. With a 6 - 3 win this evening against the Braves (a 2 game winning streak!), the Sox are in last place with a 22 - 28 record, but only eight games out of first place. (Just out of curiosity, I checked to see how they were doing at this point in the season in 2012 under Bobby Valentine. They actually had a better record at 26 - 25. Lovely.)

To keep this post semi-baseball card related, Tony over at Off-Hiatus Baseball Cards had a card giveaway contest and I actually won! I got to pick out a card from his "treasure chest" saw this sweet Felix Doubront jersey/auto card from 2014 Topps Museum Collection.


This is a beautiful card. I don't normally show cards to my wife when I get them in the mail, but I made an exception with this one. She agreed that this was one beautiful card.

Then she asked, "Why is there tape over his signature?"

She's so cute.

I explained to her the evils of sticker autographs, why I don't like them and why she must hate them too.

But she always has to find the positive in everything.

"But you really like the card, don't you?" she said.

I told her I did.

She asked me how much it cost me.

"Nothing. I won it." I told her.

"So then you really don't have anything to complain about, do you?"

She doesn't understand.

2 comments: