Monday, November 4, 2013

The 5 Most Influential Cards Of All Time (To Me)
Number 3 - 1978 Topps Len Randle

Two things make up most of my possesions. Baseball cards and music. I began collecting both around the same time.

The first record album I ever bought I got at Woolworth's. It was a K-Tel record called "Boogie Nights". It had Rick James, The Tavares, Donna Summer and some other disco "artists". Until I could buy another album, this was the only one I had.

How many times do you think I played it?

A lot. A real lot.

I still have this record. It takes about 3 minutes to listen to both sides because it skips so much.

Much like my record collection, there was a time when I didn't have very many baseball cards.

How many times do you think I looked at them?

A lot. A real lot.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that all the cards from the countdown so far have been from my first few years of collecting.


As you can see by the condition of the card, I spent a lot of time looking at it. You can see my initials on the bottom of the card, which was one of my mom's brilliant ideas. That way my brothers and I wouldn't fight over whose cards they were.

Now look at Mr. Randle's right hand. You can't really see it because it's obscured by the infield dirt and first base.


Even close up you really can't see his right hand.



So because I couldn't see his right hand...



...he must not have one.




I thought Lenny Randle had only one hand.




Don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for my parents.

This is what they were up against every day of my childhood.



"How does he swing the bat?" I used to think to myself.


Even now when I look at the card, thirty-five years later, it still looks like he doesn't have a right hand.


And because of Jim Abbott, now I know how he could swing a bat.

No comments:

Post a Comment