Saturday, June 4, 2022

1983 Donruss Baseball Action All Stars

If you've followed this blog for any length of time, you've probably realized that I am a sucker for oddball cards...especially if it's from when I was a kid. This is the time when I knew all of the players...unlike today as I'm not familiar with some players on the Red Sox, much less the rest of the league.


This another box that should have been $5 but I ended up paying a little less than $20. I don't think we'll ever see $5 boxes again but I hope I'm wrong.

Apparently back in 1983 an extra 60 cents profit was a big deal. Oh, and do you notice something odd about this box?


There were 38 packs in the box with 6 cards in a pack for a total of 228 cards. There are 60 cards in the set. I should be able to get a few sets out of this, shouldn't I?


That is...as long as you don't have terrible collation, like I did. The smaller pile is the 1 and only complete set I got. The bigger pile is all of the duplicates. I managed to pull only 1 Tony Pena, Gaylord Perry, Rickey Henderson, Gary Ward, Hal McRae, Phil Niekro and Al Oliver, but was blessed with 9 copies of Tim Lollar and Pete Rose.


The cards (collation nonwithstanding) I like. They are 5" x 3.5"...which is essentially two normal sized cards side by side.


If you read the card backs (like I do), there are lots of stats. They are complete too...Yaz's card goes all the way back to 1961.


Each pack also had 3 puzzle pieces. While the standard release featured Ty Cobb, for this set Mickey Mantle (or "Mickey Mantel" as the box states) was the subject.

Here is the checklist:

1.) Eddie Murray
2.) Dwight Evans
3.) Reggie Jackson
4.) Greg Luzinski
5.) Larry Herndon
6.) Al Oliver
7.) Bill Buckner
8.) Jason Thompson 
9.) Andre Dawson
10.) Greg Minton
11.) Terry Kennedy 
12.) Phil Niekro
13.) Willie Wilson
14.) Johnny Bench
15.) Ron Guidry
16.) Hal McRae
17.) Damaso Garcia
18.) Gary Ward
19.) Cecil Cooper
20.) Keith Hernandez
21.) Ron Cey
22.) Rickey Henderson 
23.) Nolan Ryan
24.) Steve Carlton
25.) John Stearns
26.) Jim Sundberg
27.) Joaquin Andujar
28.) Gaylord Perry
29.) Jack Clark
30.) Bill Madlock
31.) Pete Rose
32.) Mookie Wilson
33.) Rollie Fingers
34.) Lonnie Smith
35.) Tony Pena
36.) Dave Winfield
37.) Tim Lollar
38.) Rod Carew
39.) Toby Harrah
40.) Buddy Bell
41.) Bruce Sutter
42.) George Brett
43.) Carlton Fisk
44.) Carl Yastrzemski 
45.) Dale Murphy 
46.) Bob Horner 
47.) Dave Concepcion
48.) Dave Stieb
49.) Kent Hrbek
50.) Lance Parrish
51.) Joe Niekro
52.) Cal Ripken Jr.
53.) Fernando Valenzuela 
54.) Richie Zisk
55.) Leon Durham
56.) Robin Yount
57.) Mike Schmidt
58.) Gary Carter
59.) Fred Lynn
60.) Checklist 

Thanks for reading!



What I'm Listening To While I Post This 

Double Wide - Uncle Kracker










2 comments:

  1. I see these at antique malls a lot, usually beat to hell too. I had no idea that this was the set than Mickey's puzzle came from.

    ReplyDelete