Friday, October 19, 2018

Why I Like Repacks Better


You must have seen these at WalMart. For $19.99 you get ten "Factory Sealed Packs Inside!". Plus that's not all. You thought "The Exorcist" was scary...try being saddled with "5 Bonus Triple Play Packs". If there isn't a more frightening sentence in the world, I'm not aware of it.

So why do I like these repacks better than buying boxes from my LCS? Mainly the cost...and what you get (or don't get). A few years back I managed to get a better (and higher paying) job. This allowed me to budget out more money for buying cards. So rather than just buying repacks or blasters, I was able to go to my LCS and buy hobby boxes. Granted they are not cheap because you are paying for the "hits". 

Casr in point. I bought a hobby box of 2016 Allen & Ginter. I think it was somewhere along the lines of $129. Not cheap. If I remember correctly there were 3 hits in the box. Two of the hits were marginal players and then there was this:


Why? 

Definitely not worth my $129. 

In a repack containing a pack of Allen & Ginter I pulled a Henry Rollins auto. Much better.

Another example is a box of 2017 Topps Archives. I believe I paid either $99 or $129 for that one. There were two autos in that box. Here was one of them.


WTF? Why? It's definitely cool to have your own baseball card, but put this as a base card in Allen & Ginter. Don't waste one of my hits for this.


Granted this was the other auto I got out of the box, but did Topps have to make up for it by giving me a crappy second one?

So back to this:


I bought one of these a few weeks ago. Although the thought of five more packs of Triple Play should scare me as much as The Exorcist, I bought the thing anyways. 

One of the packs inside was this:


2015 Panini Elite.


Not bad cards...not a set I would buy a box of though.



Although it did provide me with a nice double bat card. Even though the logos aren't here, it still is much better than the stinkers I showed earlier. This is not to say I'll never buy another hobby box again, but I seem to get better hits in the repacks...and for a much cheaper price.

Does this happen to anybody else or is it just my luck?

5 comments:

  1. I get some nice hits from repacks. Pulled a Bucky Dent auto from a pack of Goudey in one. Have pulled other relics and autos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that Moncada auto is definitely impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't buy much of either anymore, but I agree with you on repacks over hobby. That's mainly because I'm not about chasing the hit and generally enjoy base cards and parallels. I think the last repack I purchased was two years ago, and it yielded me one of the best Mookie Betts cards I own. $4.99 for that repack, and the card I pulled routinely sells for a couple hundred dollars these days:

    http://shoeboxlegends.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-elusive-rite-aid-repack.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can’t say I’ve ever bough5 a repack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Repacks are much more budget friendly. I have yet to buy a hobby box.

    ReplyDelete